What is Genetic Counseling and how can it help your patient?
Genetic counseling is an informative discussion that involves educating patients and their families about the occurrence or recurrence of a genetic disorder in the family. Genetic counselors are experts in understanding genetic conditions. They have an in-depth knowledge on various appropriate tests available and are experienced in providing clinical and psychological support. They act like an extended arm for clinicians and doctors.
The genetic consultant/counselor explains the following to your patient/families:
- Genetic basis of their clinical disorder, the inheritance pattern, and the recurrence risk
- Availability of various tests and management of the disease
- Appropriate course of action in view of their risk, family goals, ethical and religious standards
- Social and psychological support
When to recommend your patients to see a Genetic Counselor?
Here are the situations when medicine expert/doctors/clinicians may recommend their patients/families to visit a genetic counselor:
- Family history of a genetic condition or birth defect
- A Couple in a consanguineous marriage
- Women who are pregnant or planning a pregnancy at the age of 35 years or above
- The general concern of would-be parents about the genetic health of their baby General concern of would be parents about the genetic health of their baby
- Bad obstetric history, multiple miscarriages
- Death of a child due to a genetic condition
- Antenatal ultrasound or pregnancy screening tests indicating a possible risk to patient
MedGenome Genetic Counseling
MedGenome Genetic Counseling team will act as an information, education and service hub for patients and doctors:
- Non-invasive Prenatal Screening Test (NIPT)
- Carrier Screening Genetic Test
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing (Screening & Diagnosis)
- Prenatal Genetic Counseling
- Risk Assessment
- Extended Family Member Testing
- Companion Diagnostics
What does the process of Genetic Counseling involve?
The expert Genetic counseling team of MedGenome provides extensive pre and post counseling as explained below:
- Evaluates the family history and all relevant medical records
- Helps the family understand about the genetic condition
- Explores the options available for genetic testing, its reliability, and limitations
- Discusses the risks and benefits of genetic testing
- Considers the inheritance pattern and risk of recurrence
- Declares the possible uncertainties due to present lack of knowledge
- Discusses reproductive options
- Interprets the test results
- Discusses the need for further testing
- Explains inheritance pattern and risk of recurrence depending on the results and final diagnosis
- Discusses the available management and prevention options
- Addresses emotional and social concerns
- Discusses the implications of the report to the individual and the family
- Refers to other resources or support groups for help
Genetic testing at Baseline and post-induction chemotherapy helps...
Master Arjun (name changed), a 5-year-old boy presented with fever, fatigue, chest discomfort, weight loss & loss of appetite had...
Polygenic Risk Score test 14 years
Patient information A 14-year-old female had heart attack/MI and underwent anterior wall Myocardial Infarction on 06.10.2020. She is currently on...
Polygenic Risk Score test
Patient information A 31-year-old man felt sudden chest pain while at work. His colleagues on noticing his discomfort rushed him...
Talk to our Genetic experts for free today or reach out to us
Our certified genetic specialists are available to discuss your queries
MedGenome Genetic Counselling team will get back to you shortly.